Friday, January 9, 2009

imPEACHment Chipotle Margarita

.
All this talk about impeachment has put me in the mood for a peach flavored cocktail. A few years ago when the whole mixology movement was just heating up, I had an opportunity to attend a cocktail seminar given by master mixologist Francesco Lafranconi. Francesco is a very dapper Italian gentleman and I would describe him as the Marcella Hazan of cocktails. I had never really given cocktails much thought until this point as how hard is it to make a gin and tonic but that afternoon changed my life and I never looked at cocktails and bars the same way again. Francesco advocates using the freshest of ingredients and getting rid of anything shelf stable like pre-made sour mix or canned juices. He emphasized that bars are no different from kitchens and much of the same culinary principles and creativity can be applied when making cocktails. Francesco along with other notable cocktail masters such as Dale DeGroff, Bridget Albert and Tony Abou-Gamin have changed the way we drink for the better and have done much to bring back the art of the cocktail.

This is one of the recipes that Francesco made for us at the seminar. There are margaritas and then there are Peach Chipotle Margaritas! The sweetness from the peaches provides a fruity counterpoint to the heat from the chipotle peppers. It's just the thing to pull you out of a winter doldrum.
You can sometimes find peach chipotle jam at Whole Foods, Dean and Deluca or Fox and Obel. If that doesn't work then try ordering it from Earth and Vine Provisions.

Peach Chipotle Margarita
1. oz Reposado Tequila
0.25 oz Orange Liqueur
0.25 oz Cinnamon Schnapps
1 Bar Spoon Peach Chipotle Jam
1.5 oz Fresh Sweet and Sour

Shake all ingredients with ice and serve on the rocks. Garnish with a lime wheel and dried chipotle on the rim.

Here is another version with easier to acquire ingredients
1.5 oz Reposado Tequila
.5 oz Orange Liqueur (Grand Marnier works best)
3 drops TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
2 teasp. peach chipotle jam
Juice of 1 lime

Method: Shake all ingredients together with 2 cups of ice. Strain over ice into a rocks glass. garnish: lime wheel and dry chipotle around the rim.

9 comments:

  1. I didnt know you had a blog. But of course you would! Martini sounds excellent. I llok forward to checking in here more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds tasty, I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow excellent recipe,I wish I could saw this before last weekend hahaha my little party was excellent.
    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love peaches, they are sweet and delightful at touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peaches are delicious and i like to eat them raw and just picked from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am desperate to make this margarita and have the first shot as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to have those in front of me...want to taste them badly.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. win and yummy food, a classic combo. i really like the post...

    ReplyDelete