Friday, April 24, 2009

Barefoot Contessa's Crack Onion Dip

.

The official name is pan fried onion dip but we like to call it crack onion dip because you can't stop eating it and it is sooooo bad for you. I found the recipe years ago in one of the old Barefoot Contessa cook books and I've sort of become famous for it. My friends act like crack addicts going through withdrawals if I serve chips without it, "Where's the onion dip? I don't see it? Where did you put it? What do you mean you didn't make it? That's the only reason we came! Can you still make it? How long will it take?"

The warm weather today reminds me summer and picnic season will soon be here which means I need to whip up a batch of this amazing stuff. One taste of this and you'll never go back to the powdered onion-sour cream mix ever again. But don't say I didn't warn you! It will change your life.

It's important to use full fat ingredients. I tried making it with low fat sour cream, mayo and cream cheese and it ends up with a weird, Miracle Whip tangy flavor to it. So as Ina would say - use the good stuff.

2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup good mayonnaise

Directions
Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.

Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings.

Serve at room temperature.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, girl, you are speaking my language. We make the same dip around these here parts and no matter how many times it's been served before, I still swoon when I have the first taste. I knew I liked you, but your appreciation of Ina just cements it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna give this a try. *head lowered* I own ALL of Ina's cookbooks. I even bought some of these "Hotel Silver" bowls by Ginger Kilbane at Bergdorf's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 'head lowered' comment is very funny - and so true - it is so shameful to love Ina - but you just can't help it. Very few people in England know about her - and so she (and the quantities of fat in the food I make from her recipes) are my dirty little secret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i made this dip over the weekend and it's true. people COULD NOT stop eating it. Soooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what do you serve it with? potato chips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i served it with potato chips

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or fresh vegies....

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, made the dip, served it with potato chips and pretzels too and it was a big hit. will make it again, except that my house smelled like onions! great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is wrong with your house smelling like onions? Sounds delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made this when I hosted my "Do Nothing Club" on Thursday. It received rave reviews. My husband mentioned how addicting it was the next day when we had the leftovers. He now totally gets why I was calling it "Crack Onion Dip."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am making it right now, however I am using red onions....since it's clean out the fridge friday!! They are looking and smelling fab! yumm!

    ReplyDelete